The Department of Music requires all prospective music majors to complete an audition on their major instrument/voice. Students living more than 250 miles from campus may send recorded auditions (CD or DVD).
To schedule an audition follow the Become A Major link.
Current students follow the individual links for auditioning for the various ensembles:
- Choral Auditions
- Symphonic Wind Ensemble and Symphony Orchestra Auditions
- Jazz Ensembles Auditions
- Music Theater Production Auditions
The Music Department regards continuous experience in active music-making to be an essential part of college music study.
To provide this experience, the department offers a wide range of ensembles both vocal and instrumental.
- All music majors (performance, jazz studies, liberal arts, and music education) must declare a major performance medium (instrument or voice) upon entering their program of study.
- Every music major is required to be in one major performing ensemble during each semester of residence in which he or she plays his or her declared performance medium (instru- ment or voice). Students may be invited to play in additonal major ensembles.
- Students may substitute a minor ensemble for a major ensemble only with the aproval of their adviser and the department chair.